Monday, November 3, 2008

SO LONG

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to let you know that I am giving up this blogging, this time for good. I am tired of paying attention to politics. I only started doing it because I, like many of you I'm sure, wanted to raise my tiny little voice against the fascism of the Bush/Cheney years. Hopefully, in the election tomorrow, things will change and the country and the world will recover and endure. This is my fervent wish.

But I am getting too old to waste my remaining time listening to the self-righteous blather of the 300 million egomaniacal yaketyyaks that make up this country. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I am entitled to put on my ear protectors, rev up the chainsaw and drown the bastards out. It's nothing but hatred and nonsense and I'm sick to death of it.

I've been spending most of my time "out in the nature" as they say around here and I much prefer it to politics and punditry. A week ago a friend helped me take down a 100-year-old ash tree in the back yard. Many, many years ago, at least back to the 70's, someone had girdled this tree with clothesline wire. The wire was embedded deep in the wood now, literally choking the tree and depriving it of it's needed water and nutrients. It was dying, so down it came.

I was out stacking the wood from this tree this afternoon. There were a dozen huge cross-sectional chunks, two-and-a-half to three feet in diameter. I couldn't lift them, but I managed to roll them to the spot where I was going to stack. It was a gentle downslope all the way and I rolled them with my foot. It was much fun, like playing. They smelled beautiful too. Then the dusk came on quickly and surprised me because of the return to "standard time". A beautiful waxing crescent of a moon grew brighter in the south as the light died and, above it, there was the evening star, which is not a star at all, of course, but a planet. The planet of love was trailing the liberal crescent. The air grew crisp and the moon was bathed in a misty aura. It was too cool for school.

I was tired and there were scratches all over my forearms from manhandling these beastly chunks of ash. I went into the house and got a beer and came back outside and sat on one of the chunks that was only there to sit on now because someone, back in the 70's, had washed their clothes and needed a place to hang them to dry and had no thoughts to what their clothesline would be doing to the tree. I sat and watched the sky in the south, gazing at the beautiful Moon and the beautiful Venus.

Perhaps there was hope yet for our own planet. After bailing out all of the incompetent, lying, usurious, greedy shitholes who have dishonored our world but don't have the grace to fall on their own swords maybe, just maybe, there is enough left of the shattered spirit of human decency and kindness to rebuild on.

There is an old willow here, below the line of oaks on the edge of the swampland, that looks like it was leftover from the set of "Lord of the Rings" or "Harry Potter". Three of its main branches had broken and fallen over so that their tips touch the ground and it is now supported at four points forming three triangles. The tree is, literally, rotten to the core. The base of the trunk is hollow, big enough to hold most of the seven dwarfs plus some rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks. It should be completely dead, this willow, but it's not. It has new shoots coming out of its rotting carcass everywhere, with leaves still on them due to the mild fall. Beautiful, delicate, yellow-green leaves that just won't give up, it seems. The same, I suppose, could be said of this nation.

Let's hope so.

So I am back to art and nature and I leave you with this little collage (which I've used here before) called "Fed Up Yet?"

My thanks and very best wishes to you all, and to this world we all share.

Sweet dreams.

Love, Neil

29 comments:

C-Nihilist said...

well it's a bummer for all of us, but it sounds like you have the right idea.

beautiful post.

farewell and take care, Neil.

Larry Jones said...

I'm deeply disappointed. I'll miss your voice. Good luck to you.

fallenmonk said...

Bye. Sounds like you have some good time planned. Without Bush and Cheney to kick around I will probably just blog gardening and cooking. Enjoy yourself and its been fun.

EvilPoet said...

Best of luck in all your future endeavors. Take care.

Lew Scannon said...

"Eat up honey! There are starving cannibals in Africa who would love to have a little white girl to eat."

Gonna miss this place very much!

JM said...

My hope was that this goodbye was another satirical statement, but as I read on it would appear that I was wrong. Yours is a unique voice that will be missed. Take care, and good luck!

mjs said...

Dropped in to see what you're up to...I too find it is time to make art instead of shaking my fists at the vile ones.

Good on you.

Autumn here in Oregon (my new home). Rain, darkness, autumn: my, my...

Good galumphing to you and galloping galumpers everywhere!

++++

Frederick said...

Sigh. Farewell.

Coffee Messiah said...

Nice to hear what U R up too, and certainly do not blame you for doing what you're doing.

Sounds great!

Nice to have met ya here and Good Luck!

Cheers!

Michael Bains said...

Say "howdy!" to Old Man Willow for me.

It's been a pleasure reading you, Neil. Sometimes a guilty one. :)

Enjoy!

anita said...

i missed you when you were gone. then you came back and i was happy. now you're gone again.

but you're leaving for a good reason, so that's ok. and i'm happy you're finding things to do that make you feel close to nature and make you happy.

my best wishes to you and, most importantly, thanks for all the wonderful work you've done over the past few years. it's been much, much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.

Graeme said...

best of luck to you Neil.

Eidin said...

Neil, I understand this completely. What a beautiful goodbye.

Blueberry said...

Hug a tree for me, and if you get back in the neighborhood, stop by and say Howdy.

Anonymous said...

G
W
seo

SEO是目前最新興的廣告曝光方法,SEO搜尋行銷提供了專業的關鍵字排名與SEO搜尋引擎最佳化服務,讓你的網站在SEO排名遙遙領先,歡迎洽詢SEO的專家 ... SEO自然排名 規劃架設seo seo網站 專業關鍵字公司1通電話幫您把網站排名到第1頁、 想要讓自己的網站大量曝光嗎? ...

宜蘭民宿

a383



9

i

Anonymous said...

V
N
seo
SEO是目前最新興的廣告曝光方法,SEO搜尋行銷提供了專業的關鍵字排名與SEO搜尋引擎最佳化服務,讓你的網站在SEO排名遙遙領先,歡迎洽詢SEO的專家 ... SEO自然排名 規劃架設seo seo網站 專業關鍵字公司1通電話幫您把網站排名到第1頁、 想要讓自己的網站大量曝光嗎? ...


a383
2

p

Anonymous said...

XH
批發

seo

網路行銷

Anonymous said...

QZ
情趣用品

提供上千種成人商品線上購物服務--專營情趣商品、男女自慰用品、性感睡衣、情趣用品批發、自慰套、SM商品、逼真情趣娃娃、跳蛋、按摩棒、同志用品、TENGA飛機杯..,可線上刷卡及貨到付款。 ... 收到的東西會有情趣用品的字樣嗎? 轉帳之後,如何通知這筆款項是我付的
導航

enigma4ever said...

still miss you..August 14th 2009

Anonymous said...

高雄旅遊墾丁旅遊
阿里山旅遊台東旅遊
清境旅遊包車旅遊
高雄一日遊墾丁一日遊
台南一日遊∣觀子嶺旅遊
高雄墾丁WISH計程車(七人座)高雄租車九人座
機場接送一日遊

Anonymous said...

新彩整形外科診所
整形整形外科隆乳內視鏡隆乳豐胸果凍矽膠雙眼皮割雙眼皮縫雙眼皮開眼頭眼袋隆鼻韓式隆鼻抽脂削骨狐臭、>>>參考網站

Anonymous said...

I wish you health and happiness every day!
Ich wunsche Ihnen Gluck und Gesundheit jeden Tag!
Je vous souhaite sante et bonheur chaque jour!

網路行銷
seo

Anonymous said...

I am from Taiwan! Si vous voulez visiter Taiwan, bienvenue sur mon site et des visites Zhijiao, je vais proposer divers types de visites guidées et visites guidées ...

I am from Taiwan! If you want to visit Taiwan, welcome to my site visits and Zhijiao, I will provide various guided tours and guided tours .

Ich komme aus Taiwan! Wenn Sie nach Taiwan besuchen möchten, herzlich willkommen auf meiner Besuche vor Ort und Zhijiao, werde ich verschiedene geführte Touren bieten und Führungen ...

高雄旅遊
墾丁旅遊
阿里山旅遊
日月潭旅遊
清境旅遊
包車旅遊
高雄一日遊
墾丁一日遊
台南一日遊
租車旅遊

Anonymous said...

電波拉皮歐化廚具
外籍新娘果凍矽膠
流行服飾室內設計
汽車旅館日光花園
法拍屋隔熱紙
雙眼皮新彩整形
大陸新娘高雄租車
中秋禮盒肉毒桿菌
瑜珈教室高雄旅遊
保健食品乳酪蛋糕
台中住宿墾丁旅遊
整形外科首頁科技

Eriki said...

提供您SEO排名利用自然排序把你的網路排名SEO優化而達成網頁排名中的關鍵字廣告,而網路行銷中把網站優化後網站排名就是另一種關鍵字行銷手法給你最佳化的SEO服務。一般瀏覽者高習慣性使用入口YAHOO我們幫您保証自然排序前十名,因我們的技術保証您可指定全球任何搜索引擎保証排名... 網站優化是目前最新興的廣告曝光方法,SEO搜尋行銷提供了專業的關鍵字排名與SEO搜尋引擎最佳化服務,讓你的網站在網路行銷中遙遙領先.

michael greenwell said...

don't u feel like coming out of retirement now that it is quote clear what obama is?

陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

房屋經紀人網站
房屋出租出售
室內裝潢
房屋仲介
裝潢設計
租屋仲介
買屋
賣屋
房屋裝潢
裝潢設計師
房屋水電
房屋空調
新成屋個案
房屋房地產新聞
房屋土地增值稅試算
房屋契稅試算
房貸繳息試算
買屋租屋租售廣告張貼
辦公大樓
套房
我要買屋
我要租屋
搬家公司
搬家
搬家公司
平價搬家
室內設計師
室內設計
裝潢
室內設計師
木工師傅
木作工程
木工
房屋防水
房屋抓漏
房屋漏水
花園景觀
庭園設計

陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

女生生日禮物 禮品贈品 禮品 生日送禮 個性商品 企業贈品 男友禮物 禮品網 女朋友生日禮物 小禮物 中秋節禮盒 公關禮品 年節禮品 尾牙贈品 找禮物 男生情人節禮物 男朋友禮物 生日蛋糕 生日快樂祝賀詞 生日卡片 生日賀卡 壽星的生日快樂 生日快樂賀詞 生日快樂歌 生日優惠餐廳 生日花束

Anonymous said...

香港平價住宿
民宿
宜蘭民宿
系統傢俱
系統櫃
外籍新娘
男性結紮
泌尿科
外籍新娘
植髮